In the course of research projects performed at the University of Pittsburgh, faculty, staff, and students often make new discoveries and generate new technologies. When inventions arise from research conducted at Pitt, researchers’ first step is to contact the Innovation Institute, the University’s office responsible for technology transfer. The Innovation Institute can help you with the following:
- Putting in place an Intellectual Property Assignment Agreement, which is a pre-requisite in order to submit external funding proposals
- Completing and submitting an Invention Disclosure
- Seeking patent and/or copyright protection for new research products and technologies
- Evaluating the potential for commercialization of inventions
- Developing a licensing strategy for patented technologies
- Exploring the possibilities of forming startup businesses based on new technologies
If you have a new discovery or technology that you want to protect, contact the Innovation Institute as early as possible in the process.