Effective: December 19, 2019
Kathleen Blee, Bettye J. and Ralph E. Bailey Dean
DSAS Policy on Closures and Class Cancellations
1. If the University is closed and/or classes are cancelled:
• Instructors should determine an appropriate method to make up missed course material.
2. If the University is open, but an individual uses their discretion and determines that they are unable attend class:
• If the INSTRUCTOR is unable to arrive at class, the instructor should notify the students and department/school and determine an appropriate method to make up missed course material.
• If a STUDENT is unable to arrive at class, the student should contact the instructor as they would for other absences (ex. if they are ill). Instructors should follow their course absence policy, but should be as accommodating as possible in allowing the student to make up class work/missed course materials.
3. If a student is participating in an off-campus placement/practicum/internship/etc.:
• The student should follow the placement location’s operating status, assuming they are able to travel safely to the placement site. (i.e. if the University is closed and/or classes are cancelled, but the placement location is open, students should still report to their placement site.)
• If a student is unable to safely report to the placement location, they should notify their contact at the placement site to indicate that they will be unable to arrive.